Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Sherrod

Everyone is looking at her full speech and are saying she is showing how she transformed from a racist, to a advocate for the poor of all colors.  Perhaps that is true, but I have my reservations.  My reservations are still valid after I have watched the entire speech.

Below is a transcript of some of her speech.  The bold type is what was on the big Government video.  look at the section where she talks about how the she knew the farmer was a racist.  She knows he is racist because he is "showing his superiority".

Really?

How about Sherrod is showing her continued racist ideas about whites more than 20 years after the event?  Watch the video and you tell me she doesnt smirk as the audience responds to her "knowing what he was doing".  While she might not be using her office to discriminate against whites, she certainly still holds racist ideas about whites.

[11:50] SHERROD: I made the commitment on the night of my father's death at the age of 17 that I would not leave the South, that I would stay in the South and devote my life to working for change. And I've been true to that commitment all of these 45 years.
[...]
[16:34] SHERROD: God is good. I can tell you that. When I made that commitment, I was making that commitment to black people -- and to black people only. But you know God will show you things and he'll put things in your path so that you realize that the struggle is really about poor people --
AUDIENCE: All right. All right.
SHERROD: -- you know. The first time I was faced with having to help a white farmer save his farm. He took a long time talking but he was trying to show me he was superior to me -- I knew what he was doing.
AUDIENCE: All right.
SHERROD: But he had to come to me for help. What he didn't know, while he was taking all that time trying to show me he was superior to me, was I was trying to decide just how much I was going to give him. I was struggling with the fact that so many black people have lost their farmland, and here I was faced with having to help a white person save their land. So, I didn't give him the full force of what I could do. I did enough so that when he -- I assumed that the Department of Agriculture had sent him to me; either that or the Georgia Department of Agriculture -- and he needed to go back and report that I did try to help him. So I took him to a white lawyer that we had -- that had attended some of the training that we had provided 'cause Chapter 12 bankruptcy had just been enacted for the family farmer, so I figured if I'd take him to one of them, that his own kind would take care of him.
That's when it was revealed to me that y'all, it's about poor versus those who have, and not so much about white -- it is about white and black, but it's not -- you know, it opened my eyes, 'cause I took him to one of his own and I put him in his hands, and said, OK, I've done my job. But, during that time, we would have these injunctions against the Department of Agriculture and -- so, they couldn't foreclose on him. And I want you to know that the county supervisor had done something to him that I have not seen yet that they've done to any other farmer, black or white. And what they did to him caused him to not be able to file Chapter 12 bankruptcy.

No comments: